Sharing the highs and lows of life with my 15.3 thoroughbred cross mare, Emmie.

Thursday 14 May 2015

Competition Report - Vale View Arena Eventing

Unfortunately my event at Richmond was cancelled due to the weather, so we re-routed to Vale View to do some Arena Eventing.

It was a bit of a so-so day. I was really pleased with her overall, but I felt we could have done some of it a little better. So the setup was 8 showjumps, followed  directly by 15 portable cross country fences.
I had pre-entered the 90-95cms Walking the course I thought it was pretty good, there was a couple of questions but it wasn't too tricky. The only thing I thought could be an issue was a hanging log into the water, as our nemesis fence is jumping into water!
She showjumped well, with just one fence down, and then onto the XC. All was going well until she slammed the brakes on into the water! Noo! Re-presented and she jumped it well, but picked up 20 penalties. I think it was because she could see the water in the gap under the log. But all in all, it was a nice round, and I was glad she jumped the second time. 



Due to the stop, I decided to take her in the next class, which was 1m-1m05. The cross country did not change much, but the SJ fences were full up 1m5. In hindsight, I had her XC boots on and she probably should have had different ones as she just couldn't feel the poles! She also got into the indoor and got all excited, so she was really still in the XC mindset. Cue fast, flat, no brakes, and taking 5 poles - oops! Onto the XC and she was a little speed demon! by the time we got round to the water she came back to me a bit and she jumped straight into the water, which I was pleased with. They had put a board at the base of the fence so you couldn't see the water underneath it, and I was really happy that she still jumped straight in. 





Pictures are from both rounds.

I was also thrilled that she jumped straight through the two skinny brushes (you can see one in the last photo) as these caused a lot of issues and she flew straight through like a pro. Overall, it was a really good training test and I'm very excited for our next event at Shelford Manor in 2 weeks!




No comments:

Post a Comment